Old 04-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Sheepkeeper

Default ants

I've had good luck with Terro http://www.terro.com/ the bait, not the
spray. Just put it near the pot, they'll find it.

"Ray" wrote in message
I don't know of a natural ant repellent, but if you mix up about a
tablespoon of liquid dishwashing detergent - Dawn, Joy, or the like - with

quart of water and spray the plants thoroughly, it will:

1) get rid of the insects that are there,
2) discourage them from returning (not a preventive, but if you kept

getting
hosed, wouldn't you reconsider?), and
3) would wash off the "honeydew" secreted by your plants, which may be

part
of the draw. (A word on that: the sweet secretion may be coming from the
plant directly, or may be from aphids if the ant population has gone that
far. Better hope it's the former, although the soapy liquid will get rid

of
them, too.)

I take the secretion of the honeydew by your cattleya as a sign that it is
good and healthy, not that it is trying to attract insects, but bugs are a
way of life with plants, no?

. . . . . . . . . . .
"gal" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I grow my orchids inside the house and recently there are ants all
over them. I do not want to spray with chemicals - what is a natural
ant repellent I could use without causing damage to the plants.

Also, I noticed my Catallya produces some sort of sweet liquid that
the ants like. Why would the plant "want" ants crawling on it when it
is out of bloom?

Regards

Gal