Old 04-11-2003, 06:12 PM
J Jackson

Default growing actinidia from seed

Janet Baraclough wrote:
: The message
: from Victoria Clare contains these words:

: I found standard kiwi fruit (probably 'heyward') easy to germinate from
: seed, but had no luck with other actinidias, including actinidia arguta.

: Has anyone grown these plants from seed, and if so, what approach did you
: use?

: I had an ornamental actinidia (kolomikta) which self-seeded itself
: into our gravel drive after a cold wet Scottish winter. That suggests
: you might succeed sowing them in fine grit, or very-gritty soil-based
: compost, and giving the seed pot a spell in the fridge (in a plastic
: bag) to stimulate germination.

I've tried kolomikta from seed trice and failed completely. I've tried
stratifying and just sowing. I had warnigns about keeping off cats - do
they really go for the plants?

Jim