Old 04-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Sunrise vs. Christmas Cactus

Sunrise Cactus A.K.A Easter Cactus = Hatiora (formerly Rhipsalidopsis) are
spring bloomers and will not respond to such treatment. They bloom as they
days begin to get longer.

Schlumbergera (Thanksgiving and Christmas Cactus) are winter bloomers (short
day plants) and will respond to such treatment.

Fleemo wrote in message
om...
I've got a Sunrise cactus that I bought at the store, which came with
instructions to give it cold temperatures (40 degrees) in November and
December in order to have it bloom a few weeks later. I also have a
few Christmas cacti that were given to me and I'm not sure when their
bloom time is. Should I put them in the cold along with the Sunrise
cactus, or leave them inside where it's warm and hope they bloom?

-Fleemo