Old 05-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Phisherman

Default Sunrise vs. Christmas Cactus

On 4 Nov 2003 15:00:00 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

I've got a Sunrise cactus that I bought at the store, which came with
instructions to give it cold temperatures (40 degrees) in November and
December in order to have it bloom a few weeks later. I also have a
few Christmas cacti that were given to me and I'm not sure when their
bloom time is. Should I put them in the cold along with the Sunrise
cactus, or leave them inside where it's warm and hope they bloom?

-Fleemo

I've got all three-Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter zygocactus.
The Thanksgiving cactus is now showing swelling of white buds. I put
all three on the deck during the summer months where they got full
morning sun. I bring them in to a cool room (50 degrees is best)
where they still get light no artificial light, but I neglect them
somewhat and hold back the water. I give them organic feedings
(compost/manure tea, fish emulsion) and from March to September. My
Christmas cactus is huge. My mother used to put the Christmas cactus
in a closed room with no heat and it bloomed remarkably well.