Old 05-11-2003, 03:02 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Turmeric

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
Danny \"remove remove\" wrote:

A couple of years ago I bought a small piece of turmeric in a

grocery
store. I put it in a pot indoors. Leaves sprouted and grew about

18".
Then the tips turned brown. The whole leaves started to wither.

How did you get yours to sprout? What ambient air temp? I've been
trying to get my piece to sprout. Only some green spots and small

bumps
that haven't gone anywhere.

It needs to be warm, in my experience above about 24 degrees C (~75F),
this is best done in spring, keep the root damp but not soggy. Make
sure you start with a fresh plump rhizome not a withered dried-out one.
Plant into a sheltered spot with full sun or nearly full sun and keep
the water up to it once the leaves appear. If your air temp is too cold
or very dry you will not succeed. The plant is native to the tropical
parts of SE Asia so if you are in a cool/cold temperate area forget it
without a hothouse or equivalent.

David