Old 05-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Bulbs in Hanging Baskets

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:04:35 -0000, Jaffacake wrote:

I recently went to a Winter Container demonstration at a local garden
centre... one of the things they showed us was mini daffs in hanging
baskets, all packed it quite tightly 9approx 60 bulbs in a 14" basket.

Anyway... I wondered if anyone had tried this, either with daffs or other
bulbs, and whether it was successful??

The City of Victoria, BC, Canada (not where I live -- I'm in a
suburban municipality) has had summer hanging baskets for about
fifty years. Naturally, the thought of having hanging baskets in
winter has reared its head with some regularity, but afaik
experiments in that direction have been failures.

Herbaceous material simply doesn't grow during the winter, a
severe cold snap can destroy bulbs. They may be hardy but they're
not *that* hardy. Narcissus are bulbs that are bone hardy for the
most part *if* planted in the ground or in pots given a modicum
of protection, but hanging from a lamp post, they freeze through
and through -- and likely die.

I suggest you go back to that garden centre off and on during the
coming winter and see if they have their daffodil basket actually
hanging up -- and if so, take a look at it when the daffodils
come into flower. I think you will be dismayed.

A compromise is to plant up hanging containers, but keep them in
coldframes for the winter, putting them up only when the bulbs
approach flowering in late winter or early spring.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada