Old 05-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Not the Karl Orff

Default Turmeric

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

It needs to be warm, in my experience above about 24 degrees C (~75F),
this is best done in spring, keep the root damp but not soggy. Make
sure you start with a fresh plump rhizome not a withered dried-out one.
Plant into a sheltered spot with full sun or nearly full sun and keep
the water up to it once the leaves appear. If your air temp is too cold
or very dry you will not succeed. The plant is native to the tropical
parts of SE Asia so if you are in a cool/cold temperate area forget it
without a hothouse or equivalent.

Thanks. I tried growing it in the shade here during the summer. Have
no trouble getting normal ginger to sporut but this one will not. The
ones at theindian market have not sproutd though they have not been
refrigerated.