Old 05-11-2003, 10:32 AM
mel turner

Default More berries

In article ,
[i] wrote...
In article ,

[P van Rijckevorsel] wrote...

Thesis: all fruits that are vegetables are berries

Would "berries" include "pepos"? [Probably it should.]

PvR

No. Okra is a woody capsule when ripe.

And of course there are unripe pods of legumes [e.g, snow
peas, green beans] that are eaten as vegetables.

Others?

Maize has a "caryopsis", and "corn-on-the-cob" is universally
called a vegetable.

Is an avocado a regarded as a "vegetable" or an oily
nonsweet "fruit"? If a "vegetable", is it a drupe or a 1-seeded
berry? Drupe, as I recall. There reportedly is a thin stony
endocarp, not just a seed coat.

Olives are also drupes. Do they count as "vegetables"?

Plantains are probably "berries" as easily as cucumbers and
squash are.

Ok, another. What's a breadfruit? It's eaten as a vegetable and
is clearly not a berry, at any rate.

So, I think the thesis probably needs some modification.

cheers