Old 05-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Chookie

Default How to break up soil?

In article ,
Trish Brown wrote:

Now we're faced with a pile about twelve foot by three foot by two foot deep
of excellent, though compacted soil! What's the name of the machine I need to
use to break it up? And what should I do about the kikuyu cables I *know* are
still lurking inside the pile? I have a notion of making a built-up veggie
garden by putting in some timber edging and mulch, but I'm at a bit of a loss
as to where I should start...

I'd be inclined to plant spuds in it, as far down inside as you can. You may
get a crop of spuds (though it's a bit late to plant them, at least here), but
they will break the soil up without much effort from you. And I would just
roundup any kikuyu as it shows its ugly face.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc