Old 05-11-2003, 02:42 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default More berries

mel turner schreef
Is an avocado a regarded as a "vegetable" or an oily
nonsweet "fruit"? If a "vegetable", is it a drupe or a 1-seeded
berry? Drupe, as I recall. There reportedly is a thin stony
endocarp, not just a seed coat.

+ + +
I am not sure. I don't seem to have very many books at hand to go into the
matter. However "Fruits of the Guianan flora", by van Roosmalen, says berry.

Websites tend to avoid the question but this one is in favor of berry:
http://cal.nbc.upenn.edu/poison/plan...e/lectavoc.htm

It seems to me that there is regular on this NG who knows all about
avocados, and who might be willing to put in a definite word ;-)
PvR