Old 05-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default growing actinidia from seed

The message
from J Jackson contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
: The message
: from Victoria Clare contains these words:

: I found standard kiwi fruit (probably 'heyward') easy to germinate from
: seed, but had no luck with other actinidias, including actinidia arguta.

: Has anyone grown these plants from seed, and if so, what approach
did you
: use?

: I had an ornamental actinidia (kolomikta) which self-seeded itself
: into our gravel drive after a cold wet Scottish winter. That suggests
: you might succeed sowing them in fine grit, or very-gritty soil-based
: compost, and giving the seed pot a spell in the fridge (in a plastic
: bag) to stimulate germination.

I've tried kolomikta from seed trice and failed completely. I've tried
stratifying and just sowing. I had warnigns about keeping off cats - do
they really go for the plants?

Yes, ours are completely besotted with it :-( At the last garden where
the plant was huge and draped all over the place, they would writhe
around on its lower stems for hours looking befuddled. I brought my
seedling to the new house, it's still in its pot because one of the cats
chewed off all its new leaves, bah. It has survived though and will now
make a multistemmed plant. I'll have to give it a wire shield when I
plant it out.

Janet.