Old 05-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Karen

Default I want an invasive plant!

(Roy) wrote in message .. .
On 04 Nov 2003 21:06:21 GMT,
(WARRENRN1) wrote:

===bamboo
===english ivy
===st. johns's wort
===crepe myrtle
===
===add seedum to the list.....
===also lilies of the valley.....

The king of invasive plants Kudzu
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Why do so many people have reading problem? This guy said he's in
Canada!!! The place where snow doesn't melt until summer.

I don't think any plant of one type would look good in a 10x20 area.
I'd try a combination of evergreens, shrubs and herbs.

I have a east side facing garden in a slope along the deck in zone 5.
I've found the following plants doing very well without maintenance.

--Juniper (nice evergreen, not invasive)

--Yew (Grow and spread quickly. like water and shade, evergreen, easy
to propagate. Not invasive)

--Dogwood (beautiful winter color, easy to propagate. Not invasive)

--Sumac (fall color, produces lots of suckers. They may take over the
island in a few years. Tons of them along 401. You may get them from
your neighbors for free)

--Mint (very invasive, I had to put down 5" plastic edge around to
control it. Still green now. Good for Mojito Classic)

--Day lily (Very easy to grow. Not spread as quickly as mint. But
after a few years, you'll be willing to give some of them away free of
charge to whoever wants them)

--Thyme (Just sow those $0.79 pack seeds from Home Hardware in spring
directly into your garden, and they'll grow. Put in the most sunny and
dry place in your 10'x20'. Not invasive)

--Snap dragon (Nice long bloom period. Grow directly from seed, and
reseed itself every year without your labor. Not invasive)

--French tarragon (Easy to grow, but not invasive. Not recommended
unless you want the herb)

The hostas, garden phlox, spindle tree (Control Gold), straw berries
grow very well without care. But they may not fit your bill.