Old 05-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Getting ready for winter in NC

On Sunday, I pulled all the water lettuce from my pond here in Durham,
NC. I am planning on leaving the water hyacinth in until it "tells" me
to take it out. I just did not want to dredge out disintegrating water
lettuce later which is why I did that now. I'm also slowly trimming the
pickerel back as the stalks and leaves die off. Water lilies (hardy)
are still throwing off leaves, much to my amazement.

Water temps are still in the mid to lower 60s. I'm still seeing new
tiny shebunkin babies on a regular basis.

I finally got the lights in the pond a few weeks ago. Since we seem
to have an incredible amount of mosquitos still flitting around who
divebomb the lights in the pond after dark, the fish and the frogs are
really enjoying the new lights! We're also still seeing quite a few
dragonflies flitting around laying eggs. I would have figured they
would have been done for the season also.

Susan
shsimko (at) dukedotedu