Old 05-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default How to grow moss on garden walls.

The message
from (Rich) contains these words:

I would like to grow some moss on the walls but i don't know where to
start.

Scrape some live moss from a local stone, and run it through the
kitchen liquidiser to break it up. In a bucket mix a loose slurry of new
cow manure, water, yoghurt and the moss. Spread or smear this onto your
wall or stones with an old rag or sponge.

This also works well on concrete or terracotta pots or ornaments, if
you like that ancient mossy stone look. I've used it equally
successfully with lichen instead of the moss, to get lichens established
on repaired or rebuilt sections of drystane dyke and match it up to
older sections.

Janet