Old 05-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

Default How to break up soil?

In article , Norman wrote:
I think its called a pick and shovel. uses no petrol.

"Trish Brown" wrote in message

My husband and I have finally succeeded in getting the kikuyu off a
large mound of soil at the back of our yard. (Oh!! Me achin'
back!) The soil was dumped there some years ago during a time
when we weren't in a position to use it, so the overgrowth was
*BAD*! About half the work was done by hand and then the
remainder of the lo-oo-ong grass was scalped off to the soil with
the whipper snipper blade.

Now we're faced with a pile about twelve foot by three foot by two
foot deep of excellent, though compacted soil! What's the name of
the machine I need to use to break it up? And what should I do
about the kikuyu cables I *know* are still lurking inside the
pile? I have a notion of making a built-up veggie garden by
putting in some timber edging and mulch, but I'm at a bit of a loss
as to where I should start...

The easy way which will also go some way to preventing Kikyu regrowth.

Get some organic matter. The more the better. Spread it over your
mound. Get some wool carpet off the street, or rip it out of your
living room if you're sufficiently sick of it and stick it on top of
your organic matter. Sew the top with some kind of green manure like
mustard, and water until germinated. Once the mustard has flowered
and you've cut it down. the area should be ready for planting.
Removing the carpet is optional.

In my experience no dig garden beds require a bit more patience to set
up, but once going are much easier to continue with than dug gardens.