Old 05-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Fleemo

Default Sunrise vs. Christmas Cactus

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:
Sunrise Cactus A.K.A Easter Cactus = Hatiora (formerly Rhipsalidopsis) are
spring bloomers and will not respond to such treatment. They bloom as they
days begin to get longer.

Schlumbergera (Thanksgiving and Christmas Cactus) are winter bloomers (short
day plants) and will respond to such treatment.

But Cereoid, the tag for the Sunrise Cactus (Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri)
instructs:

"REBLOOMING: Around Oct-Nov, provide temperatures of 40-55 degrees F
for 8-10 weeks with moderate light. Bring inside and watch it bloom
approxmiately 2 months later."

Last year I did just that and the Easter Cactus bloomed beautifully.
However, the Christmas cacti I had sitting right next to it never
bloomed at all, which is why I'm wondering whether taking the
Christmas cacti outside this year should be avoided.

-Fleemo