Old 06-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Steve Wolfe

Default Compost Bin Recommendations Needed

Isn't that the truth! I still use mine to make a mix of several
different composts to create a product for making aerobic compost tea.
I some times add some fungal foods to get the mycelium actively
growing. In other words it's a high priced mixer that could be
replaced with a $20USD recycled plastic barrel.

You can also get high-quality plastic barrels for free, if you know
where to look. Specifically, ask around at dialysis centers. They buy
dialysate in medical-grade plastic barrels of roughly 50 gallon capacity.
It costs more to clean them to medical specs than to make a new one, so
many dialyssis centers are willing to give them away for free, to avoid
having to throw them in the garbage.

They'll smell of vinegar (I believe that acetic acid, aka vinegar, is
one of the primary ingredients in dialysate), but the dialysate doesn't
have anything toxic. Rinse them out, let the vinegar smell air out, and
you're good to go.

steve