Old 06-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default growing actinidia from seed

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:27:48 -0000, Janice wrote:

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote
I've tried [Actinidia] kolomikta from seed trice and failed completely.

I've tried
stratifying and just sowing. I had warnigns about keeping off cats - do
they really go for the plants?

I have an actinidia kolomikta and the neighbourhood cats go wild for it. I
couldn't understand what was chewing the leaves, until one day I saw a cat
rubbing itself on the leaves and realised what it was.

Split open a twig and take a look at the pith inside. These two
nearly-identical species differ in that regard: one has
"lamellate" pith, the other doesn't.

If anyone is dying of curiosity to know which is which, whine and
complain here in the newsgroupo and I'll look the matter up and
post the details.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada