Old 06-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Tumbleweed

Default How to grow moss on garden walls.

Just go to your alpine section in a gardening centre and takea look there
are lots of creeping, spreading low level plants suitable for what you are
looking for. You could also choose ones that would be suitable for
southfacing (If your wall is) something that moss is unlikely to establish
on.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

"Rich" wrote in message
om...
Thanks to all.
I will try the cow dung (Is horse dung as good?) but if that doesn't
work...
One of the walls is forming a raised flower bed. What sort of plant
could i use that could be planted in the bed and grown over the wall
to cover the face?

Regards,

Rich

"David Hill" wrote in message

The old way of getting moss etc to grow on new stonework was to paint

with a
solution of Cow dung, failing that a slower way was mil or as said

Yoghurt,
but if your walls are south facing then none will work to any degree.
When I built a bridge over our stream I left some joints open to the

backing
soil and planted cliff break fern into them, all took but none have any
sunlight and are damp most of the time.
No fern will be able to root through cement to find soil.