Old 06-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default OT Linux

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:54:22 -0500
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

"D Kat" wrote in message
I love Unix and have since 1970. Linux isn't there yet (NeXT was!
and was 10 years ahead of its time). DK

snip

Linux is not ready for prime time as a desktop OS. Clearly.

BV.

I record music from my old LPs to CD, create and manipulate graphics,
surf and post to the 'net, use office software (word processor,
spreadsheet, presentation), scan old pics, drop in new pics from the
digicam or from my memory keyfob, keep all my appointments (alarmed)
and address book, access my desktop remotely from any modem equipped
computer, write small scripts to help control my system, run a firewall,
have all my computers networked together, Linux and Windows (controlled
by a Linux machine), have many more options for desktop style, usage,
and configuration, and about 3500 software packages that came (free)
with my OS. I also have full control over everything my system does at
all times. Oh, yes, my system will also reinvent itself, updating not
only the OS but also every single software package when updates
become available, all by itself and free of charge. I have been using
Linux alone, no Windows, for a couple of years and do not miss Windows
at all, especially the crashes, hang ups, and BSODs. Currently my
GNU/Linux box has been up and running for 23 days, 18 hours, and
40 minutes. Some have run continuously for up to three years.
Where, again, is Linux lacking?
In the user base. That's the only place.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.