Old 06-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Druss

Default Growing asparagus

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
m...
Kay Easton wrote in message

In article , Kevin Markland
writes
We are planning to start growing a few vegetables in our garden and I'd

like
to grow those things that are either expensive in the shops or really
benefit from being fresh from the ground.

Don't forget fruit - things like loganberries and raspberries are very
expensive in the shops, and yet easy to grow and crop reliably. Apples
and pears aren't so expensive, but you can grow varieties in the garden
that you never see in the shops.

Home grown carrots taste immensely different from supermarket ones, as
do radishes.

I am not convinced that asparagus is worth growing in such a small
plot. we have a bed about 15 ft by 10ft and we have enough for two of
us for about 6 weeks. Mangetout peas taste good and are very
productive, and we have a tayberry growing along a fence The flavour
is absolutely superb and we freeze about 20lbs a year and have enough
fresh to eat for about two months. It is very little trouble and only
takes about 2 hours work a year! What ever you grow pick the best
varieties for flavour rather appearance or quantity.
Tony Bull www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

Oh I don't know, my wife and I have one small raised bed of asparagus, about
6 crowns, they provide us with several nice starters throughout the
springtime. Their flavour alone makes it worth growing, that and the, almost
neglect they seem to thrive on.

Yes you have to put up with waiting for them, but in my opinion it's well
worth the wait.

We planted ours when we first moved in and the next year took nothing, the
year after we had one crop and since then we get 5 or 6 small crops,
suitable for the two of us anyway.

Duncan