Old 06-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] the Kingsville which is not

Iris Cohen wrote:

There is nothing wrong with calling it "Kingsville boxwood." Everybody does; it
is a colloquial name. But your label, and the label at a show, should also read
Buxus microphylla 'Compacta.'
Same as "Blue Moss Cypress"
Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard.'
There are a lot of such things, people, too.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

I guess that's the way I'm looking at it. "Kingsville" is a common name, not a
scientific one. In a display, as Iris has indicated, it should have the scientific
name as well as the common name.

A parallel word usage is the "title" used for my profession "Reverend." This word
is an adjective, as in "The Rev. Craig L. Cowing." I am not a "reverend." It is
not a noun. However, people are always going to use the word in that way and I do
not have the energy to constantly correct them. There are more important battles
to fight.

In the case of Holman's contribution by developing this marvelous cultivar, by
using the scientific name when displaying the plant that's probably enough. The
Kingsville nursery, after all, did have a part to play in this by introducing this
cultivar as a subject for bonsai cultivation. When things are around long enough
they leave the hand that brought them into the world.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++