Old 06-11-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

Default OT Linux

"MattR" wrote in message
rant

Not clear to me at all. The only thing linux is missing is acceptance
and the following application/driver base. The only time I have
problems with linux, compared to windows, is finding drivers for
whatever hardware I'm adding because most vendors don't include linux
drivers. Other than that linux is just as functional and quite a bit
more stable than windows.

snip

Exactly my point. I do agree most all Unix kernels are more robust and more
stable then any MS kernel, but that does not make them ready for prime time
on the desktop. Servers maybe, desktops no way. Many people have trouble
configuring windows machines, and you can't get much simpler then that.
Linux is still far too complex.

On the other hand, if M$ gets their way with digital rights management
they'll be able to log into your machine and erase files, legally, and
without any recourse by you. And then they can complete their monopoly
by preventing any other software not written by them to read any files
generated by any of their products. I'd much rather try Sam's stuff.

snip

That just sounds like typical anti-MS paranoia.

BV.