Old 06-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default OT Linux

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:54:39 -0500
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

As for security and MS virus', I speculate that if Linux was on 90% of
the workstations in the world, we'd be reading about more Linux
virus'. I agree that MS has been lax in it's security and
vulnerability protection, but surely the number of machines running
the OS make it a good statistical target. Why attack a small number of
computer savvy people if I can attack a larger group not so savvy
users?

BV.

Because one would have to logged in as root (/) which is the number one
no-no in the Linux world, just as in the Unix world. Otherwise a
cracker would need your root password which is fairly well protected.
As an IT professional I'm surprised you even asked. Unless, of course,
your IT career is mostly using Microsoft products? Not that this is a
bad thing. A whole lot of the internet would disappear if Microsoft
products suddenly did likewise.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.