Old 06-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default growing actinidia from seed

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:05:47 -0000, Janice wrote:

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote
I've tried [Actinidia] kolomikta from seed trice and failed

completely.

I have an actinidia kolomikta and the neighbourhood cats go wild for it.

couldn't understand what was chewing the leaves, until one day I saw a

cat
rubbing itself on the leaves and realised what it was.

Split open a twig and take a look at the pith inside. These two
nearly-identical species differ in that regard: one has
"lamellate" pith, the other doesn't.

What is "lamellate pith"?

lamellate. adj. A botanical term used by smartasses to troll
those less enamoured of Big Words.

Means that the pith is divided into lamellae, little cells
separated by crosswise membranes or partitions.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada