Old 06-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Pumpkin seeds RULE!

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 11/6/03 4:20 PM, in article ,
"dstvns" wrote:

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:43:28 -0800, "David Auker"
wrote:

Did you grow them? Harvesting/opening the pumpkin to reveal the
seeds neatly waiting is a wonder (but somewhat time-consuming...I
wonder what the commercial process is like!?)

I would guess they shred the entire squash plant, and the seeds float
to the top of a vat of water. That's how I separated the seeds from
my pumpkin....put them in a bowl of water and nearly all the seeds
floated.

It seems to be an extremely easy process to mass produce...simply
dump in a large vat of water and skim the seeds off. Maybe one day
we'll see salted pumpkin seeds on the store shelves

Dan

They are there already - pepitas - find them in the Mexican section or
with the dried fruit and nuts.

Cheryl

???

They occasionally sell David brand salted pumpkin seeds at Walmart, K-
mart and Walgreens. Walgreens also carries some other brand (thin bag
with orange color), not quite as tasty and with added coloring (boo-hoo).
Found in the seed aisle with sunflower seeds and nuts. Never seen them
in the Mexican aisle

- ST