Old 06-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Wisteria /Viginia Creeper.

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g3z0pa.n6jmsl70ibtbN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Peter C wrote:

I have just cleared an area in front of a 6 foot high by 24 feet long
fence . I am considering purchasing either Wisteria or Virginia
Creepers to grow up the fence.I know the merits of both ie, leaves ,
flowers. My side of the fence is in the shade. Any views which to
purchase ? Also when should I purchase and plant.?
Thanks.

I would go for 2 but go for Parthenocissus henryana instead of Virginia
creeper.. Much nicer on a shaded wall.

Purchase and plant now till about late feb/march. at least while both
of these are dormant. Plant when ground is not frosty and firm in .
mulch well to protect roots from frost
/
Jim

P. henryana gets my vote, it colours up well in shade (the leaves have good
colour and markings in summer as well as the wonderfull autumn display.)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk