View Single Post
  #12   Report Post  
Old 07-11-2003, 03:31 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2003
Default Plant light bulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Rbeezer
I know, I just didn't want to respond to the troll.

Pretty scary what gets posted sometimes, isn't it? And thank you for your
warning. :-)

DO NOT DO WHAT IS SUGGESTED
YOU DIE!!!
It is rather scary what gets said, although I'm sure this is a case of bad humour and the OP didn't actually expect anyone to try it... However, on a slightly more worrying note, that thing with the penny behind a fuse or replacing wired fuses with normal wire was common praptice just 30 years ago! I have an electrical book from the 1960's that suggests it as a temporary fix untill an electrician can be called out... Nevermind the house might burn down before he gets there to fix it properly. Anybody who still believes these shoddy fixes work, or that 'upgrading' fuse ratings is safe, just don't try it, call a professional before you fry your wiring or worse yourself.

Anyway, about your plant. It's better to put it in the ideal light location stated on the lable. If you don't have enough light, perhaps you should move it nearer a window and put a low light plant in its place? If this doesn't help, your plant needs something else. Normally plants look bad because they've been overwatered, just cutting back on watering has solved almost all my houseplant problems and the same advice has helped dozens of friends over the years. People seem to overlook that it's a house plant, not a mash plant, they do not need to be topped up all the time and kept damp constantly. Yellowing leaves is the most common sign, although most assume it's drying out too much, not rotting, so they water it even more. I used to do this...

Less common problems are too much or too little fertilizer. If you suspect this, try swaping over to the slow release tables or sticks for a while.

Then of course there's the mystry plants that just *want* to die. I have one in my room, it is watered precisely by a self watering device that has made all my other 16 plants thrive, it sits in the middle of a room where it gets light indirectly though a big window partly shaded by a tree (the lable says part shade), and I use slow release fertilizer, it even has it's own humidity tray - yet the leaves still drop off it by the dozen and it's prefered state is looking like a dead twig that's been stuck in a pot of soil, which it has looked like for two years now. It can't be me, I have 16 other house plants which attract compliments and attention all the time, some I've had for years. The only solution for these stuborn plants that just refuse to grow after lots of time and effort, toss them in the bin and buy something that will grow...