Old 07-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Tumbleweed

Default preparation of ground for shed

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.12...
Last weekend we tore down the remains of our old garden shed, which was
slowly rotting from the bottom up.

I now have to prepare space for the new shed. The old shed was placed on
top of a number of breezeblocks, spaced out, and with strips of lino on

the
top. I think some cement powder had also been mixed with the soil, though
any coherence it had is long gone and it's now just a powdery layer a few
centimeters down.

I deduce from the fact that the bottom of our old shed rotted first that
simply balancing it on breeze blocks was not the best approach (though to
be fair, I don't know how old the shed was, and it had been neglected for
some time before we moved in.) What would be a better way?

I have a bunch of 2x2 paving slabs I could lay - would that be

appropriate?
And can I just stick them down on the gravel* then bung the shed on top,

or
would it be better to mortar them as well?

I have had my last two sheds on tanalised wooden bearers. Very easy to lay,
lets the air circulate underneath and keeps everything dry.Obviously (?!)
you need to make sure the ground is hard underneath the bearers, that could
be something as simple as a few concrete slabs, you dont have to put them
the whole length of the bearers.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)