Old 07-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Saturating Vanda roots with water

(Roy) writes:
I can not make them turn completely green; there are still white
blotch on the roots especialy near the root tips.
Is there a good way to saturate the root until completely dark green
(I do not use any potting media)?

If the plant is used to being in a relatively dry environment, the
roots will have a thicker velamen layer, and will have white
blotches. Nothing to worry about, I think. Mine stay in pots with fir
bark chunks. The roots in the bark bits go green readily, the ones
above dont and have the white spots you describe. My relative humidity
is about 40% in summer.

The tips of growing roots will not turn green. I don't know why.

Geir