Old 07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Pecans in a pasture ?

"Gloria" wrote in message
I have access to free pecans, all I care to harvest, but they are in a

horse
pasture, and of course, there is manure scattered about under the trees.
Are these pecans safe to eat? The idea of eating pecans that have fallen
where the horses deposit their manure has me a bit concerned about health
issues. Does anyone have an opinion? TIA

Gloria

Assuming you normally remove the shell before you eat the pecan, I don't see
what the problem would be. Gather up the pecans, discard those that have
been damaged (the errant horse hoof?), wash off the remaining and prepare as
usual for consumption. Those hard shells are there for a purpose - the
nutmeats should be fine.

pam - gardengal