Old 07-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Theo Asir

Default Tip on rooting cuttings...

I kept all my cuttings in a heat controlled
box near my drier @ 85-90F constant with
grow lights. rooting was rapid 3 weeks in most
cases.

Just thought I'd share this tidbit 'cos I've
never seen it mentioned as such a crucial
factor.

Cass Said
Wasn't it here that the professor from Texas Ag posted his lawn misting
system? Consistent high heat, up to 120 degrees, is what is used in

Sizzle! That is warm. Sauna warm.
Maybe I should try it.

commercial operations for rooting softwood cuttings. High heat and
consistent misting.

Which is what I found so strange about
all the instruction documents out there on rooting.
Usually they are about 4-5 pages with mysterious
recommendations on cutting at the 5 leaf, cutting
at the heel wood, root hormones, standing on one leg,
hold your left ear, etc.

The only things I did was 'even' heat, humidity and light. Infact
A couple of the cutting I'd planted upside down by mistake
rooted just fine. No chemicals and no mystery.

I had a lot of luck this summer too. Too much luck. I probably have
about 25 to 30 plants. I like to give them to people that visit my
garden, so I start the roses that people rave about or that I really
like and want to spread around.

Is it still planting time out there.
Its 27 degrees out here right now. :-

25-30 plants huh!
Do you get a twinge when you give a plant
to a someone and you know they are gonna
kill it. I have this friend who has gotten a
cutting of New dawn for the last 4 years
and kills it every year. She still asks for one
so I keep trying to find a different spot she can
grow it at.

Theo

Who is balefully looking at 14 rooted
New dawns.