Old 08-11-2003, 01:12 AM
drdoody

Default New to bonsai

Basically, I'm looking for tips on growing Japanese juniper, which
seem to be in abundance in local nurseries. I just started with my
first bonsai about one month ago and I enjoyed it. Naturally, I'm
looking for a way to expand both my collection and my skill.

I do not, however, want to be influenced by other people's
interpretation of asthetics. My appreciation of bonsai is mine and
mine alone and I would hate to have it "modified" by others' concept
of beauty. I want to develop my own style. Of course, while the
asthetic apearance of a bonsai is subjective, survival is not. Tips on
the latter will be appreciated.

I want to branch (the pun was unavoidable) out into maple bonsai
eventually. Is this more difficult than juniper? If so, some tips wold
be valuable as I do not wish to kill any more trees than absolutely
necessary.

Doc