Old 08-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Tina Gibson

Default Composting with fireplace ashes

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:41:12 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

It depends on your soil. If it's alkaline, forget the ashes. If it's
acid, go ahead.

As you've probably deduced, ashes are alkaline. We don't put them on
our alkaline soil in the CA desert for that reason.

Mary

Thanks Mary, I'm in Albuquerque so I have plenty of alkalinity already.

I wouldn't put anymore than a little 1 gallon pail full into a large compost
heap. It will slow down the composting process. If you put in too much you
run the risk of killing off some of the little microbes and worms that you
want to live there. Particularly here where the composting season is very
short and takes longer in spring for microbes to repopulate again. May not
have as bad of an effect on warm climate composting - quicker recovery if
you have a very active compost. Still would add sparingly over time and see
how it goes.Mix it well with some grass cuttings or other high nitro organic
material.

I also have a woodstove. I have spread some sparingly in some flower beds -
but only do it maybe every few yrs. We also have alkaline soil here. Before
I moved into this house my husband lived here on his own and would dump
ashes freely into the existing tulip and lettuce beds - it took a lot of
amelioration to get these beds back into shape to be able to grow anything
else decently (a lot of stunted plants).

Luckily I have other uses for the ashes.
1. 90 acres in the country where I can dump it in many places to discourage
grass growth - gravel road, pathways, etc. or some back in the forest the
trees came from.
2. An outhouse where we use it mixed with peat moss and dump it down the
hole! Keeps the smell down. Note: our outhouse is not over any ground water
reservoirs.
3. City friends who take it for their gardens.
4. When lacking any options, a very large city compost site that I can take
it to.

Sure would like to here anyone elses uses for it!!