Old 08-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Compostman

Default Composting with fireplace ashes

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:41:12 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

Use them! They are also beneficial to use directly on shrubs, trees,
and lawn. You can use them to encircle your plants to ward off slugs.
Ashes are potash rich. They tend to make the soil alkaline, so avoid
using ashes on acid-loving plants. Ashes can also be used on ice
patches on steps, driveway--more kind to plants than using salt.

I agree with this advice. I put ashes in my compost, but because it's pH is
so high, I usually wait until my composting process has slowed down to avoid
getting ammonia, and thus a bad smell and loss of nitrogen. Because my soil
is naturally acid, I also put ashes around my liliacs which like alkaline
conditions. I don't think ashes in reasonable amounts are going to make any
significant effect on the compost pH, which tends to be neutral, no matter
what you put in it (assuming normal type waste, not battery acid).
--
Compostman
Washington, DC