Old 08-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Compostman

Default Compost Bin Recommendations Needed

"Tom Jaszewski" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:52:07 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:40:43 -0800, Tom Jaszewski

opined:

I checked it out and it looks as if it could be my next bin. How
long have you had it outdoors and is it exposed to any amount of sun?

Thanks,
tj

Tom, this is awfully expensive and cost 40 dollars for shipping. The 20

dollar
price is PER level. It is not going to hold up well in sun. They did

some
experimentation with plastic compost bins and none of them held up for

more
than 4 years without degrading in the sun. Not in the kind of heat we
experience.

Victoria

Thanks Vic, I was really exploring the concept. John Imrick (sp?)
had some great recycled planters than do hold up well. I'll continue
to look for a similar design but more stable in the sun.

Tom, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Victoria's opinion is not
based on true facts. I just went to Smith & Hawken's web page. I Biostack
costs $89 for three sections. Additional sections are $20 each. I'm not
sure how much shipping is, but I know it's not anywhere as close as what
Victoria says. (I buy most of my stuff from the Smith & Hawken store near
me, rather than on-line, but I have ordered from the company, and the
shipping charge is similar to any other internet store.) I can tell you
this: In July I ordered a Biostack plus an additional section and had it
sent as a house-warming present to friends who had just purchased a house in
New Hampshire. I checked my bill and the charge was $127.95. So the
merchandise was $109, and $18.95 was shipping and taxes.

Now as to Victoria's assertion that "They did some experimentation with
plastic compost bins and none of them held up for more than 4 years without
degrading in the sun." Who is "They?" I have six Biostacks, plus lots of
additional sections. The oldest is 6 years, the newest was purchased this
year. I can't tell an significant difference from the oldest and the
youngest, but in reality, the sections get mixed up as I turn the piles.
Note: S&H usually puts the Biostack on sale about once a year. It was on
sale last month for $72. Often they put it on sale in the Spring. Also, at
the local S&H where I usually shop, I get a 10% discount because of my
membership in a gardening club. I think that S&H is a fairly expensive
store, but the quality is good, and for some reason, I don't think anyone
else makes a container like the Biostack.

By the way, speaking of Victoria's "They." Did you know that they have
conducted research which shows that for every hour one spends on the
internet, the person's life expectancy is reduced by 30 days? Gotta go!!!!
--
Compostman
Washington, DC