Old 08-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default what am i doing wrong

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these
words:

The ABC turned up today as usual, K. My isp weeds out spammed adverts,
but evidently doesn't identify endless repetitions of the ABC as such.
Possibly yours does? Or your newsreader settings do?

The spam which, according to you, your ISP is weeding, is from your email.

Wrong. I was referring to usenet spam, as the context makes obvious.
Don't assume that anyone else here shares your ignorance and confusion.

Usenet is an entirely different internet activity.

Usenet is also full of spammed (multiply-posted) adverts and other
unwelcome material such as binaries posted to non-binary newsgroups,
which competent news-servers delete to save bandwidth and assist their
clients. My isp zetnet provides free, and operates, the excellent news
server I use called zimacs.

How did you manage to persuade your ISP to remove spam? A few days ago we
had a discussion in which some folk maintained that such an
arrangement was
illegal, since both sender and receiver were supposed to agree that
the ISP
may do a bit of cleaning up.

That discussion was about multiple EMAIL virus attack, not usenet spam.

Er, no. The discussion was about e-mail spam. There's no real argument
about virus attacks.

Zetnet is highly responsive to its clients and fosters good relations
and information between management and users via internal newsgroups.
When many zetnet users requested server-level blocking of the email
viral bombardment, there was a newsgroup discussion, then zetnet took
full legal advice before solving the problem PDQ.

And made an excellent job of it too - haven't seen a virus since. The
odd e-mail with nothing in (which I presume to have had an attached
virus).

Multiple crossposts in your killfile, Janet, can be zapped by typing
into the subject field (say) uk:rec:gardening:3 instead of
uk.rec.gardening, where 3 is one crosspost too many.

If you want to permit more in different groups you just type in the
lowest unacceptable number of crossposted groups.

HTH

--
Rusty Hinge
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/