Old 08-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Alan Gould

Default compost heap question

In article , Laurie
Moseley writes
Sometimes I buy organic, sometimes not. I don't want to be panicked or rushed
into either.

The very least we can do is to try to buck the fashion. In supermarkets, I make
a point of asking for the NON-organic section, as I want choice. At least it
makes them think. On a couple of occasions, I have asked for the manager and
enquired what checks they make on the production methods of both organic and
non-organic suppliers. Neither was able to answer the question.

All foodstuff, whether organic or otherwise to be sold in UK for public
consumption is subject to copious Govt. food regulations, many of them
based on EU directives. Organic produce and production methods have
additional regulations, again based on EU directives and monitored by
the Govt. appointed body UKROFS - United Kingdom Register of Organic
Food Standards. In the case of horticultural produce, the standards are
stringent and producers are regularly monitored, both by inspectors and
by the requirement of detailed reports and written evidence of how
standards are being upheld. Any producer who does not comply with the
standards can lose their certification and are no longer allowed to sell
their produce as organic or to label it with the official symbol of
organic standards.

Any retailer, or other link in the food chain handling food for public
consumption, is required by law to be aware of the standards and to
comply with parts applicable to them. Fuller details of the ways in
which organic food standards are ensured can be found in the urg FAQ at:

http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.