Old 08-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Compost Bin Recommendations Needed

(Pen) wrote in news:d0db2d7a.0311051125.4c88b632
@posting.google.com:

If you don't have a dog, find a back corner, preferably hidden by
shrubs. Dig a pit about 2-3' deep. Dump your kitchen and yard waste
in there. Cover with a little of the soil that was dug out of it.
Keep the layer going until the content rises 2' above the surrounding
soil then dig a new pit. Let the old pile sit for 6months and you've
got great compost.

I bought an earth machine a couple of years ago. Found it
impractical. High winter winds knocked the top half off a couple of
times. The vents are not enough to prevent grass clippings from
becoming anaerobic. Rats chewed through the plastic base and make the
whole thing a winter home.

I have something called a earth machine, too. it's a conically shaped,
one piece, except for the cover with locks into place and a sliding door
at the bottom. works pretty well, though I've nothing to compare it to.
I guess it's 3-4 years old, doesn't show any signs of sun damage. I have
not noticed any ravenous plastic eating rats in the area (got some wood
eating ones though). mine came with 6" plastic screws to anchor it into
the ground. you're right about the vents allowing enough oxygen, but I
think the manual suggested you turn the pile occasionally. they even had
some ridiculously priced auger contraption to help you do it. I think a
fork would work just as well, but have been too cheap to buy one (been
trying to flip the pile with a old piece of rebar ... yeah go ahead,
laugh, it's good for you, laughing anyway).

- ST