Old 08-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Grandpa

Default Composting with fireplace ashes

JNJ wrote:
Is there a compelling reason to use use or not use fireplace ashes in my
compost pile?

I doubt I'd ever put them in my compost pile, but I spread them about the
beds of my lilacs. They absolutely love it -- seems like they grow higher
and higher ever time I cook out.

Having a dozen lilac bushes around the yard I may give this a shot on
one or two. They love the soil they are in now and grow pretty quick
too, although it is quite alkaline. I'll add a shovel full to a couple
and watch what happens. Worst it can do is probably nothing, or I can
dump manure on them to counteractG.

An important item to note -- if we're talking about normal wood, i.e. the
kind you collect in the forest and such, then you should be fine.

Yup, cut it myself for burning, me and my trusty Husqvarna Rancher 55
chainsaw.

talking about processed stuff (like you would buy in a lumber yard for
example) then you may wish to reconsider.

The only lumberyard stuff I use is the tiny bit for kindling, then its
split logs.