Old 08-11-2003, 08:32 PM
paul

Default walnut tree question

Sounds like I shouldn't take a "romantic" view of having a walnut tree;
thanks for all your helpful responses.

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On 6 Nov 2003 04:56:18 GMT, Ol' Duffer
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I have a young black walnut tree growing in my garden in western
Massachusetts, probably 6-9 years old (just guessing). There's the main
trunk, about 6" in diameter, and then two small 'trunks,' about 2" in
diameter, attached to the main trunk at ground level. Should I prune

the
small trunks out?

At least. To me, the judgement would be whether to keep it at all.

To me, too. Isabel seems to have cleared my yard for now, but I'm
going to be vigilent about volunteers. In all the years I've lived
here, I've never had an edible nut. The lore for harvesting/using
includes driving over them to remove the outer skin as a first step.
Mostly the nuts just landed on the roof like bombs, and decayed on the
ground to become very unpleasant surprises when stepped on (both black
stain AND considerable discomfort). Branches die off and drop
inconveniently. The juglone produced by the roots will 'poison' soil
for certain ('though not all) plants, tomatoes among them. New trees
grow constantly from roots, seeds (nuts) and sheer cussedness, even
inside the dirt-floored garage. And roots grow *very* long and
lateral. Their only advantages are shade, and a swiftly-decaying leaf
that doesn't have to be raked in the fall. An 80' pine survived the
storm, but all the big black walnuts (in my yard -- not universally,
AFAIK) fell or became uprooted and had to be removed. Get rid of it
while you can!