Old 08-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Bill Landers

Default sphagnum hazard

"profpam" wrote in message ...
I read some place that spagnum moss was once used to cover battle
wounds; however, just in the last century has it become subject to
fungus. I also read somewhere that it caused trichosporosis (a node
appearing on the skin) the same as a rose thorn in the finger. My vague
recollection was that iodine treatments cured the problem. And, I
believe a link to this information appeared on this forum a few years
ago; so, if interested one would have to do a little research.

. . . Pam

Problems related to the use of sphagnum moss surfaced during the late
1980's. A study was subsequently posted entitled "Sporotrichosis- An
Occupational Hazard for Nursery Workers, Tree Planters and Orchid Growers"
in the June 1990 issue of The American Orchid Society Bulletin. The fungus
responsible for the infection is Sporothrix schenckii. Skin lesions can
include Cutaneous lymphatic sporotrichosis and Cutaneous nonlymphatic
sporotrichosis. Extracutaneous sporotrichosis infections can be pulmonary,
osteoarticular, ocular, central nervous system, and a multifocal form.
Protective measures include the use of gloves and long-sleeved shirts, as
well as breathing masks. Injury through a thorn or splinter can be treated
with tincture of iodine. Under treatment, the article states that Cutaneous
sporotrichosis does not respond to treatment with antibacterial antibiotics
or with local applications of antifungal preparations. Orally administered
potassium iodide (KI) given daily in milk, as a saturated solution of KI, is
effective. Recognize that this article is 13 years old, and newer and more
effective treatments may be available. I still think that standard
protective gear and common sense will minimize the chance of contracting the
pathogen.

I knew there was a reason I saved all those back issues of the American
Orchid Society Bulletin/Orchids g. Back to lurker status.
Bill Landers