Old 08-11-2003, 10:22 PM
martin

Default Again Mushrooms

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:16:35 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann =

notfranz.
writes
Hello a few posts back it was suggested that you could save the =

spores
and
seed a patch of mushrooms in the garden.

If this is so perhaps you would be good enough to repost this

information.

.....................Leslie

If you leave the cap of a "ripe" mushroom on a piece of paper, with =

the
leaves downwards for a day, you will see a vast number of spores =

which
have
fallen on to the paper. You could shake this out over the ground =

where
you
want to encourage mushrooms to grow. Or alternatively, just put a

mushroom
head on the spot and protect it against the weather for a day or two.

Having said that, it is highly unlikely that you will succeed, =

because
mushrooms are excessively fussy about where they will decide to =

settle
down.

Well I failed in my searches for a packet of mushroom spawn so I'm off
this weekend to a friends farm - she has kindly collected a bag of =

them
from her fields and I'm going to be sowing them in the next day or so.

I'll let you know how I get on in a year or so!

I am quietly confident though ;-)

Don't be too confident! Mushrooms are exceedingly picky about where =

they
want to establish themselves.
{:-(

Even when one buys second hand mushroom growing earth?

My wife was about to buy some.
--=20
Martin