Old 08-11-2003, 11:02 PM

Default help to identify a tree (yellow flowers, a bit like Jacaranda otherwise)

"Jim Lewis" wrote in
:

Sure, but it would be easier if you told us what part of the
world you are from (not to mention a name we can pin on). I
assume a warm climate because of the kind of tree you describe
and the reference to a pool. But I really don't like to be that
much of a detective. ;-)

yes, again sorry (see my other reply to you as well)

It is an Acacia species. If you live in the SE USA it is A.
farnsiana, A. pinetorum, (S.W. Fla. only), or A. smallii (N.W.
Fla and adjacent states). There are a few other, rare and
endangered, species that grow in limited area in the Florida
Keys. There's another Acacia -- angustissima, var. hirta that
grows in dry lands of the lower Midwestern USA, south into Texas.
It does NOT have thorns (one of the few).

It could be an Albezia -- A. lebbeck (Cent. and S. Fla).

There are other species of these two general in Texas, N.M.,
Ariz. and Southern California.

Most are weedy (and "springing up in your back yard" sounds
right). Almost all have thorns, many of them wickedly dangerous.

no thorns on this one

None of these -- in MY opinion -- make exemplary bonsai.

From what I know of bonsai (beginner) and wattle trees, I would agree, but
then I have noted the use of Jade plants as bonsai, and I wouldn't have
guessed they'd be any use either.

Thanks for helping