Old 08-11-2003, 11:32 PM
thecow

Default Turmeric

Not the Karl Orff wrote in message
In article ,
Danny \"remove remove\" wrote:

A couple of years ago I bought a small piece of turmeric in a grocery
store. I put it in a pot indoors. Leaves sprouted and grew about 18".
Then the tips turned brown. The whole leaves started to wither.

How did you get yours to sprout? What ambient air temp? I've been
trying to get my piece to sprout. Only some green spots and small bumps
that haven't gone anywhere.

Writing from England - you know what our weather is like.

Well, I know this sounds nuts, but...:

Bought some turmeric roots in an Indian grocery about a year ago, put them
in a brown paper bag in the salad crisper thing in the bottom of the fridge
and promptly forgot about them. Every time I cleaned the fridge (about once
every 4 months, to be honest) I'd just remove the bag, clean the crisper and
put the bag back. This summer I felt sorry for these few roots. Two had
withered away to nothing. I planted the other three in a pot of ordinary
compost in June and put them in my greenhouse (in case of late frosts).
Crikey, up they came! These tubers had been saving themselves for a big
explosion, and they've done extremely well, unexpectedly putting out lots of
nice green leaves.

Have removed them to my bathroom (which is the only warmish, moist place in
the house at this time of year). So far, so good, they haven't died down
yet.

I also grow Kra Chai (Kaempferia spp.), another ginger-like S.E. Asian food
plant. As you say, though, the tips turn brown and the whole plant appears
to die. But my Kra Chai has been springing up now for several years.

Don't throw your tubers away once the leaves turn brown, they'll spring up
again.

thecow