Old 09-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default DESPERATE/ORCHID ADVICE NEEDED

In article ,
ned wrote:

Ooooh, you are on a hiding to nothing with that question.
Experts will want to know 'Species', 'variety', 'country of origin',
..........etc.

Quite. But the majority of orchids sold in garden centres in the UK
belong to one of a few species.

But, generally, keep out of direct sun, protect from frost, try to
maintain a 'moderate' temperature and at this time of year, water
sparingly. A humid atmosphere is usually recommended but, apart from
placing a tray of half submerged pebbles nearby, that is not often
practical in the normal domestic indoor environment. If as you say it
is 'beautiful', we can assume that it is now in flower as is normal
for many varieties. Flowering can last many weeks. Do not over water.
Many orchids have 'pseudo bulbs' which act as their own self contained
moisture reservoirs.
The compost should be loose and free draining. Stand the pot on
pebbles or coarse gravel to allow excess water to drain away freely.
Permanently wet roots will rot.

Yes, but I have a few niggles. That advice is a clone of that given
to Californians, and does NOT map directly to the UK! I have only a
Phalaenopsis and Cymbidium, but the following remarks apply to most
tropical house plants (including my orchids).

In terms of direct sun, even our summer sun is rarely strong enough
to worry them - yes, I really DO mean that it is comparable to
the light levels in a tropical forest! In the winter, they like
all the sun they can get, and then more. Just don't keep them
immediately behind south-facing, sunny glass in the summer. For
the next few months, however, a south facing window (away from the
glass) is none too much sun.

Similarly, most DON'T want high humidity, ESPECIALLY in cool, dark
conditions. UK relative humidities can be sky-high, and tropical
ones are associated with active growing conditions. In a relatively
cool, naturally ventilated room in most of the UK, the humidities
ARE what Californians call high! Some action may be needed for
some plants, in houses with dehumidifiers, and if the room is very
hot.

At least the orchids I have positively LIKE erratic watering, as
might be expected for epiphytes. So forgetting for quite long
periods in the winter in a cool room is no big deal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.