Old 09-11-2003, 03:12 PM

Default Airstones and aquarium heaters

wwowow... you are pushing the limits with such a small pond. OK. my mom has a small
pond. I put that bird bath thing on a rock right below the surface and then put a
small pump with a hose to shoot water over the top of that bird bath heater SLOWLY.
Then had a Kmart air pump (8 bucks) and 2 airstones dropped in to add aeration. the
pond was 22" at the deepest and the fish were fine. Ingrid

Frances Whited wrote:
When you use an airstone, you need an air pump too, right? Where do you
locate the air pump so it is protected from the elements?

With an aquarium heater, is the goal just to keep the water temp above
freezing? I've got a 90-gal. pond. Should I look for a heater for a
90-gal. aquarium?

I have a birdbath heater that I was planning to use. It consists
basically of a heating element between two thin, flexible sheets of
aluminum. It did a great job last year on the shallow birdbath, but I'm
not sure it would be effective in a large volume container.

Please forgive these really stupid questions -- but the lives of my
darlings are at stake! Thanks!

Frances (Zone 5, Wooster, OH)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/