Old 09-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default DESPERATE/ORCHID ADVICE NEEDED

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

More likely a Moth Orchid, which is a Phalaenopsis, ...
They are epiphytes and live high up under the tree canopy in tropical
rainforests attached to tree branches by those thick clinging roots so they
only get water when it rains, only get food when bird droppings etc get
washed to the roots, and never stay wet for long.

When the spike finishes flowering don't cut it off unless it turns brown and
dies. It will flower again from the same spike or if you are very lucky you
will get another plant growing on it.

Interesting. I didn't know that. We were given one a few years ago,
and I am absolutely flabberghasted by it. With the attention you
describe (often in the form of benign neglect), it has flowered
spectacularly for 7 months at a stretch! Quite amazing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.