Old 09-11-2003, 07:13 PM
kyte

Default How do I block my email from appearing on messages?

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 07:50:55 +1000, paxwax1 wrote:

I'm getting so much 'bad' mail of late and the only thing I can put it down
to is that my email goes out to newsgroups; no-one else.

It would be great to know of ways around this.

If theres one rule of usenet its this: your address *will* get spammed.
Usenet and having a website with a publicly viewable address (as opposed
to a form contact) are the two certain ways of getting that address out
there. Less certain is signing up for forums etc. Most have a privacy
policy and the option for your address to be invisible....but even that is
not a certainty.

I recommend, as Brian has, the use of mailwasher to clean out the junk
from the server, so you never have to download it. I also recommend the
use of aliases on your email address, and not to use your ISPs email
address for snything at all. Get a free yahoo account, then go to
http://dea.spamcon.com and start using disposables. shut the disposable
down as soon as the spam gets to ridiculous.

my own address is fake. apart from the munging, the actual ID doesnt
exist and because i have not set up a catchall on my domain, its going to
bounce no matter what. Why? I cannot think of a single reason for anyone
from usenet to email me privately, when a post on usenet would be
adequate.