Old 09-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Growing asparagus (parsnip)

The message
from Rhiannon Macfie Miller contains these words:

We've been very successful with courgettes/marrows over the
past couple of years (cheaper and sweeter than in the shops)
and we're going to try a couple of the more unusual squashes
this time. (Anyone know whether the growing season in
Glasgow would be likely to be long enough for Turk's
Turban?)

Although courgettes/marrows are easy, in 30 years I've never succeeded
with ripening squashes inandaround Glasgow; and I've tried lots, from
ornamental gourds to butternut squash and pumpkins. I suspect it's due
to the relatively low light levels, and lack of sun-baking, as well as
the cool temperature in autumn. If they form fruit at all they are
stunted and don't ripen.

Some years, like this one, you can get away with sweetcorn in west
Scotland (buy a variety bred for northern short-season climates; start
them in pots under cover) which are well worth the effort. Home-grown
cauliflowers are easy and good, the little tennis-ball sized varieties
are particularly tasty.

Janet.